Chiropractic Condition Adelaide
At Trowse Chiropractic Adelaide we care and support women before, during and after pregnancy.
Pregnancy is a time of amazing change for a women’s body; physically, hormonally and emotionally. Gonstead chiropractic care is a gentle treatment option for expecting mums wanting to manage these changes naturally. Gonstead chiropractic care aims to improve the body’s biomechanics to relieve the stresses placed on your body during pregnancy.
Our private treatment rooms (no open plan spaces) have three different adjusting tables that can be customised to make room for your growing tummy and make treatment as comfortable as possible. We also have private change rooms and two bathrooms for your convenience.
Our clinic also accommodates for new mums with one extra-large bathroom; equipped with a change table, complimentary baby wipes and a hand basin to wash up. We also know babies work on their own schedule and, because of their tiny tummies, need to feed regularly, we proudly support breastfeeding and have a private room to use if you prefer
Also, if required, our friendly reception staff will happily mind your baby when you are having your chiropractic treatment. For toddlers and older children we have a wide selection of toys to keep them amused and entertained.
The majority of expecting mums that attend our clinic come in with some sort of low back and/or pelvis pain.
This common experience can be anything from an uncomfortable niggle, to sharp and shooting pain that travels down the leg. It is so common that over 50% of women will experience back and pelvis pain during or after their pregnancy and up to 70% during labour. 1,2
You may be experiencing the following:
- Pain in the low back, front or back of pelvis
- Pain that travels down the leg
- Deep & stabbing pain
- Pain made worse by movement
- Discomfort getting in and out of the car or walking up stairs
- Pain transferring your weight from one foot to the other
- Trouble sleeping
- Difficulty lifting
As your baby grows, your weight and posture alter and ligaments relax in preparation for birth.
These normal processes place extra strain and tension on the joints and ligaments of the spine and pelvis, often resulting in pain and discomfort.
Common causes of discomfort:
- Weight changes
- Altered posture
- Relaxation of ligaments in preparation for birth
- Decreased spinal & pelvic stability
- Internal pressure from baby taking up more space
- Previous episodes of low back pain
- Pre-existing dysfunction or instability
What May Happen If You Don't Do Anything?
Women often tell us their pain stops them from doing simple daily activities, like lifting grocery bags or putting on their shoes and it disrupts their sleep.
If the cause of the pain is not addressed, it may get worse and cause more disruption to your life. This may result in more physical stress to your body.
Clinical studies have shown that women are 3 times more likely to experience intense back pain during labour if they have had back pain during their pregnancy. The same research suggested that chiropractic treatment can significantly decrease the incidence of back pain during labour. 1, 3
How Trowse Chiropractic Can Help?
We want to make your pregnancy and birth experience more comfortable and enjoyable. We do this by restoring balance to your body; by finding the cause of your problem and correcting it.
Emerging research is supporting what we often see in our clinic, that chiropractic care throughout your pregnancy may be able to decrease pain that is of musculoskeletal origin 4 and continuing chiropractic care after the birth of your baby may also be beneficial in assisting proper restoration of normal spinal biomechanics.
- Borggren CL. Pregnancy and Chiropractic: a narrative review of the literature. J Chiropr Med. 2007; 6(2):70-74.
- Greenwood CJ, Stainton C. Back Pain/Discomfort in Pregnancy: Invisible and Forgotten. J Perinat Educ. 2001; 10(1):1-12.
- Diakow PR, Gadsby TA, Gadsby JB, Gleddie JG, Leprich DJ, Scales AM. Back pain during pregnancy and labor. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 1991; 14(2):116-8.
- Peterson CK, Muhlemann D, Humphreys BK. Outcomes of pregnant patients with low back pain undergoing chiropractic treatment: a prospective cohort study with short term, medium term and 1 year follow-up. Chirop & Manual Ther. 2014; 22(15).