Chiropractic Condition Adelaide
Ask anybody who has had a shoulder injury and they will tell you that it is very painful and interferes with even the smallest of arm movements.
The shoulder is one the most complex joints in the body. In fact, it is made up of three different joints linking your arm, collarbone and shoulder blade with your torso, back and neck. It is also the most mobile joint in the body, relying heavily on muscles and ligaments to provide strength and stability.
Any damage or injury in this area can lead to unnecessary wear and tear on the joint and surrounding tissues, resulting in pain and restricted movement.
Our Adelaide Gonstead Chiropractors will perform a thorough assessment of your spine, shoulder and arm to work out what is causing your pain and discomfort.
Shoulder and arm pain can significantly affect your life by limiting your range of motion and ability to perform everyday activities like brushing your teeth or carrying grocery bags.
You may be experiencing the following:
- General ache, discomfort and/or stiffness
- Frozen Shoulder or decreased movement (e.g. not able to lift your arm)
- Pain, numbness or tingling that travels down the arm
- Feeling like your shoulder will “pop” (instability)
- Loss of muscle strength
- Shoulder that is lower and falls forward
- Difficulty sleeping on the affected shoulder
While some people can get instant shoulder pain (e.g. after throwing a ball too quickly), most people who come to our clinic with shoulder pain tell us it has been there for a while and is gradually getting worse.
We will assess your shoulder, arm and spine to make sure your body is functioning as well as it can.
Common causes of discomfort:
- “Bursitis” – inflammation of the soft cushions that surround the shoulder.
- Trauma such as car accidents, falls or contact sports
- Repetitive movements such as overhead arm movements like painting and weightlifting
- Poor posture with neck or mid back pain
- Inflamed tendon (tendonitis) and/or muscular strain from overuse
- Recent or previous surgeries
- Sports injuries due to repetitive movements like golf, tennis and swimming
- Wear and tear (like arthritis or spurs) from previous shoulder injuries
What May Happen If You Don't Do Anything?
Depending on your age and general health, the extent of your injuries and how long you have had the issue for, leaving shoulder and arm pain may result in the following:
What may happen?
- Long term (chronic) pain
- Susceptible to re-injury
- Muscle wasting or shrinking
- Limited movement of the shoulder
- Degeneration (wear and tear)
- Emotional stress
If left untreated, shoulder issues can directly impact your life by making it harder to do everyday things like picking up small children, brushing your teeth or even lifting up a cup of morning coffee.
How Trowse Chiropractic Can Help?
Your Gonstead Chiropractor will take a thorough history and complete a full assessment of your spine, shoulder and arm to find the cause of your problem. We will then explain what we have found and how we can help you.
We strive to improve the function of your body naturally and non-invasively. Helping your body recover without the need for injections and surgery is our goal.